The History of Bushy & Oxhey Church

The present church grew from the vision of 19th Century Wesleyan Methodists in Watford to provide a church for the community of New Bushey, now better known as Oxhey Village. This community had steadily grown since the opening of Bushey station in 1841 on the London to Birmingham Railway.

Services began in 1885 in a loft at the back of the nearby Wheatsheaf Inn before moving a year later to a ‘Tin Tabernacle’ in Villiers Road. Unable to expand on the existing site, the church relocated to its present position and opened formally on 24th May, 1905. The Tin Tabernacle was not abandoned but dismantled and re-erected adjacent to the church as the Sunday School room, only being replaced by the large community halls in the 1960s.

Throughout its life, the church has continued to evolve with the times. In the 1980s the worship area was revamped to make it more adaptable and in 2007 a much-admired new entrance area was built: the ‘Meeting Point’. The Church continues to serve its community and the wider world, and is making plans for new and exciting developments in the future.

 

To celebrate 100 years of Methodism in Bushey & Oxhey a booklet was produced in 1986, a copy of which can be seen here.